Simple Steps for Healthier Living
Many people feel that a healthy lifestyle entails inconvenience. But eating well, exercising, and taking care of your body doesn’t necessarily need to be time-consuming or expensive. Here are some simple ways to create healthier habits.
- Add more activity to your day by taking the stairs instead of the elevator. Park farther away for extra steps. Walk or ride a bike to complete errands.
- Find an activity that you’ll look forward to doing. Try rollerblading, cycling, or go hiking and explore some new trails in your area.
- Save money on a gym membership and perform body-weight exercises at home like push-ups, lunges, or wall squats.
- Prep healthy meals on the weekend to stay on track during the work week. Consider wraps, fruits, nuts, or salads with wet and dry ingredients packed separately.
- Eat mindfully by sitting down at the table- away from distractions like the computer or television.
- Practice smart portions. The protein on your plate shouldn’t be larger than the size of your palm. A serving of fat should only be the size of your thumb. Vegetables should be about the size of your hand- the fiber and volume will help keep you full.
- Carry a refillable water bottle everywhere you go and strive to drink at least 48-64 ounces per day.
- Bring your own lunch to work. It will save money and if you prep your lunches for the week on the weekend, it shouldn’t be a time-consuming chore.
- Take time out for yourself every night to de-stress. Common healthy stress-relievers include taking a warm bath, going for a walk, drinking a cup of decaf tea, painting, or meditating.
- Get more sleep at night by turning off all electronics at least an hour before bedtime.
Don’t feel that you need to make a complete transformation immediately. Changing your routine slowly and gradually tends to produce the best and most lasting results. Pick one tip and run with it today!
-Reprinted with permission from ChiroUP